Technological world is moving so fast in its present state that the phone that have been released about 6 months ago seems out dated and the users are always eager to updates to the latest and swanky handset. In such scenarios, even the manufacturers are pumping out latest mobiles phones like never before. But in the sea of such devices remain a few good mobiles that are still excellent to use. One such phone is the note 3 which was released in the year 2013.
It is a perfectly good phone and Samsung seems to have let go of the device without updating it to further android versions. In such scenarios comes the developer community that bring the custom rom to such ignored devices. The note 3 with its pen is an excellent device with 5.5 inch full HD screen and the beautiful s-pen. A new custom rom called as temasek rom is made available that lets the handset upgrade itself to the latest android 5.1.1 version.
Below is the disclaimer to install the custom rom and the guidelines to follow in installing the software.
Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new Temasek Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM firmware has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) LTE model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery / TWRP in the smartphone
- Make sure to have installed USB drivers on the PC, or your phone (Galaxy Note 3) will not be recognised by the computer
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device’s performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
This procedure is technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Temasek Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware.]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone’s SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding ‘Volume (up)’, ‘Home’ and ‘Power’ buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option.
[Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’.
Step 8: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’ [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation.]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’.
Step 10: Tap ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use ‘Volume’ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and re-start the device by opting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to ‘Settings’ >> select ‘About phone’ to confirm the installation of Temasek Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.