Samsung next firmware for NX1 mirrorless camera is almost ready. It is a major update and many new interesting features are added.
Samsung listened to all requests and suggestions raised by early adopters and bringing in major upgrades both in video and photo areas. Samsung is expected to push this new firmware update around mid of January 2015.
Here is a complete list of changes Samsung NX1 firmware version 1.2 will bring in:
Movie Mode Refinements
- Users can now adjust audio levels while recording video.
- Users can now control ISO while recording video.
- 23.98 and 24 frame per second rates now available for UHD & FHD.
- Pro Quality mode added to Full HD. Previously only HQ and Normal were provided for FHD.
- Display marker enhancements:
- Gridlines and center marker overlays in movie mode are now visible.
- Added 4:3 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio markers.
- Added Action-safe area marker option.
- The Samsung NX1 now supports Time Code through HDMI for use when using an external recorder such as the ATOMOS Shogun.
- ‘Free Run’ time code supported.
- Time Code not supported for internal recording.
- Two Gamma modes now provided for more control of aesthetic look of footage. Both gamma modes are designed for a more cinematic look.
- C Gamma mode is a preset logarithmic color setting designed to deliver higher overall contrast.
- D Gamma is a preset logarithmic color setting designed to capture a wider tonal range for increased dynamic range.
- Master Black Level Control:
- Users can now control dark level gamma.
- 31 levels: -15 ― +15.
- Three luminance level options are now provided:
- [0-255], [16-235], [16-255].
- AF speed control implemented for more cinematic autofocus control:
- User can now select one of three AF speeds.
- Added AF responsiveness control:
- This is a new AF feature for controlling continuous AF behavior when tracking focus on a moving subject.
- User can select from five different speeds to control how quick the camera will refocus and begin tracking a new subject if something comes in-between the camera and the original subject being tracked.
- Can now capture stills from a specific video frame in playback mode:
- Added control for seeking specific frame to grab from video.
- Users can select by individual frame in the forward direction.
- If seeking in the backward direction frames within a half-second are selectable.
Physical User Interface
- Added Autofocus Lock (AFL) to movie mode. Users can now set the AEL button to lock focus in Movie mode.
- Auto Focus/ Manual Focus Toggling to movie mode. Users can now set the AF ON button to toggle between auto focus and manual focus during recording.
- Customizable physical user interface refinements:
- Reverse the functions of the Mobile Button and the Record button.
- Reverse the functions of the AF On button and the AEL button.
- Reverse the direction of the Command dials based on preference.
- Additional customization options to the functions of the command dials when in P/A/S/M.
- Customize the Optical Preview and Delete buttons with a different function.
- Bluetooth Remote – Can now use Bluetooth as simple remote trigger. Speeds up and simplifies using a smart device as remote control.
- The Samsung Camera Manager App now provides the ability to trigger the shutter release / video start/stop from a smart device using Bluetooth as opposed to Wi-Fi
- User can choose ‘Quick transfer’ which will send a QVGA still to the smartphone after it’s taken
- The Samsung NX1 can now store multiple paired Smart devices. If a user has multiple smart devices, they only need to register them with the camera once to store them. For example, users do not have to re-register devices when shifting from a phone to a tablet.
- Added wireless firmware updating:
- When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the camera will notify users if a new firmware version is available, and will allow them to download and install the update wirelessly.
- “Trap Shot” feature added to Samsung Auto Shot mode. Allows users to adjust the guide line so that when a moving object hits it, the camera will automatically take a picture.
- PC tethering implemented:
- Using Samsung Remote Studio software, the Samsung NX1 now supports tethered shooting via USB Windows PC only.
- Samsung Remote Studio Software will be available via Samsung iLauncher.
- Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows PC:
- Samsung will provide an SDK for Windows allowing developers to make remote access and control software for the Samsung NX1.