How to change your Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge to stock firmware and unroot the phone?
Do you got a OTA update failure or just want to try the latest official firmware? But your phone is rooted and you are getting some unknown error, you may need to unroot the phone. It is also a good practice to unroot the phone when if you want to sell it or give it to someone.
Also, as rooted phones loose all the warranty, it is good to unroot your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge before giving it for service.
Another good reason to unroot your phone may be the Samsung Knox security. When you root your phone you cannot use Knox and the services related to Knox such as Samsung Pay.
If you want to bring back your rooted Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Edge back to stock firmware, you can follow these simple steps. These are so simple and straight forward that even someone with less technical knowledge can follow it.
Unroot Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
Step 1: Backup your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge
Whenever you try to root or unroot or change firmware, it is a good practice o backup everything important on your phone. You can use any online backup service like Dropbox (Which I use to backup my files) or you can simply copy and keep the files on the computer.
Step 2: Download official firmware
Before you start downloading official firmware for your phone, make sure you are downloading the correct one. Here are some simple steps to download the correct firmware for Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Check your phone model number and note it down. You can check it by going to Settings → About Device → Model Number.
- Get all official firmware for Galaxy S6 from this link and for Galaxy S6 Edge from this link.
- Match the model number of your phone on the page and download the firmware.
Step 3: Flash firmware
If you are doing this for the first time you need to download some more software and drivers.
Download Odin tool for Samsung phones.
Step-by-step guide to flash the stock ROM
- Turnoff your phone and start again by pressing Volume down, Center home and Power button together until you see Warning message. Go ahead and press Volume up button and this will bring you to Odin download mode.
- Connect your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge to computer using micro USB
- Open Odin on your computer
- Odin will detect your phone and you can see that the phone is connected.
- Unzip the official ROM you downloaded before and open that in Odin. (Click the AP button to open the file with extension tar.md5)
- Click on the start button in Odin
Now, you need to wait and grab a cup of coffee as the process can take some time.
When it is over, your phone will boot up and it is now unrooted.