Waiting for Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) Android Lollipop (L) or 5.0 update. The good news is that you can update your phone to latest Android software, the bad news is that Samsung will not provide an official build. Samsung Galaxy S3 can be updated to latest Android using custom ROM.
Samsung usually updates phones to latest Android cookies up to 18 months. After this Samsung ceases to provide any new updates to the Galaxy devices.
Previously Android 4.4 KitKat build was posted for Galaxy S3 and now the developers managed to port Android Lollipop build for Galaxy S3. The software is quite unstable at the moment, but the developers are working to make it usable.
There are a lot of things which are not working at this time. Here is a list of bugs present in the current software:
- Internal & External Storage
- Graphics including color calibration and hw composer
- Screen off (the device can not enter deep sleep)
WARNING: As lots of features are missing at this moment, this build is just usable of test purpose. If you want a stable software then I will advice you to wait for some more time till the bugs are fixed.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant of Galaxy S3 with model number I9300 only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod(CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 USB drivers).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
- Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy S3 (BasketBuild). Download here
- Arter97 Kernel for Galaxy S3 (Use Version 4.0-beta1+). Download here
- CWM recovery 18.104.22.168 or Philz Touch Recovery.
- As the ROM is in Nandroid Backup format, you can install it by restoring the backup from your SD card backup folder.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP file and copy the ROM back-up file from ‘/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup’ to the desired location on your phone.
- Now boot up your phone in recovery mode.
- Perform a full data wipe (except if you’re running previous versions of this ROM)
- Finally, restore the nandroid backup which you copied earlier and then flash the downloaded kernel
Downloads Required Files
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
This is what you will expect right now from the test build.
We will update you when there will be new stable Android Lollipop software available for Galaxy S3.
Looking for Android Lollipop for Galaxy S4. Check here.